What to Do When Your Outlet Sparks
September 7, 2018
Given that all of the electricity we use as consumers on a day-to-day basis comes from contact with outlets, it seems that noticing a spark would indicate that something is seriously wrong with your electrical grid. Should you keep plugging things in, or was this instance not anything to worry about?
These are questions that most homeowners will encounter at one point or another. Maybe you’ve already experienced it, and you’re concerned that a dangerous electrical problem could be brewing in the wires where you can’t see it. Don’t fret! The professionals at Electric Today are here to help — we’ve got a simple rundown to help you figure out whether or not that spark is anything to be worried about. If it isn’t, then you can continue on like nothing ever happened.
However, if you’re concerned that your home could be at risk of an electrical hazard, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with us! Our electricians are qualified and prepared to help you and your family remain safe and sound.
A Spark! Is it Bad?
Maybe you plugged something in and noticed a quick jolt of light. Sparks are bad, right? They mean that something is overpowered or short-circuiting or on the verge of exploding — or do they?
- If the spark you noticed was short in duration and blue-ish in color, then odds are that it isn’t anything to worry about. The outlet’s job is, quite simply, to send electricity to whatever plug is inserted into it, and when that happens you might see the wires doing their jobs.
- On the other hand, repeated instances of yellow or orange sparks – for instance, seeing them every time you insert or remove a plug — are a warning sign. These sparks are indicators of danger: faulty or loose wiring, an old outlet, or any kind of electrical damage can lead to these brighter sparks.
To recap: shorter, infrequent blue sparks aren’t anything to worry about. But extended orange or yellow sparks that you see more often are bad! If the ones you’re noticing fall into that second category, here’s what to do:
- Avoid using that outlet immediately! You’re being given signs that continued usage of that outlet could become a significant hazard, so leave everything as it is and don’t touch it.
- Call an electrician as soon as possible. Attempting to diagnose a complicated electrical procedure like this on your own is dangerous, so leave it to a professional. He’ll be able to identify just what’s troubling your outlet and recommend a proper solution for it.
Electric Today’s electricians are knowledgeable and prepared to help you with any and all outlet-related problems, so if you need to call someone, look no further! We’re Tampa’s most trusted electrician, and our friendly and honest team members will ensure you receive only the highest-quality service in the area.
Reach out at 813-653-4221 and schedule an appointment today!